Tuesday, August 4, 2015

August 4, 2015: Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14


Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14
Passage:
9 As I was watching,
thrones were raised up.
The ancient one took his seat.
His clothes were white like snow;
his hair was like a lamb’s wool.
His throne was made of flame;
its wheels were blazing fire.
10 A river of fire flowed out
from his presence;
thousands upon thousands served him;
ten thousand times ten thousand
stood ready to serve him!
The court sat in session;
the scrolls were opened.

13 As I continued to watch this night vision of mine, I suddenly saw
one like a human being
coming with the heavenly clouds.
He came to the ancient one
and was presented before him.
14 Rule, glory, and kingship
were given to him;
all peoples, nations, and languages
will serve him.
His rule is an everlasting one—
it will never pass away!—
his kingship is indestructible. [1]

Reflection:
As a child I could hardly wait for Christmas.  I knew that Christmas season was right after Thanksgiving. So I would begin counting down the days, singing songs and carols, making lists, and really trying to be on my best behavior. I was really looking forward to Christmas.  I could hardly wait!
When we think about Christmas, we know that the true reason for the season is Jesus. When we read this passage, is there anyone else that comes to mind?  This is the elaborate throne of God where the human one, the one born of a human, receives God’s rule, kingship, and authority.  Indeed, it is anticipating the arrival of Jesus.
We can remember that Jesus the Christ has already come. In fact, we can celebrate Christmas every single day. We can live in the joy of Christmas and declare the presence of Christ to whomever we meet.  This will open doors to share the goodness of God that we sang all those songs and carols about.  This is an opportunity for us to move from thanksgiving into making lists of what God has done for us and how we can share that with all of creation.

Reflection Questions:
Morning: What are you most looking forward to today?
Noon:  How will you continue to relive the joy you anticipate?
Evening:  How will you share that joy with others?
Prayer: Lord, help us to see you in each and every day, even in the mundane, even in the discomfort, remind us that you have come and are here with us now.



[1] Common English Bible (Nashville, TN: Common English Bible, 2011), Da 7: :9–10, 13–14.

No comments:

Post a Comment